Thursday, January 12, 2006

A World Lit Only by Fire, by William Manchester



A World Lit Only by Fire : The Medieval Mind and the Renaissance - Portrait of an Age by William Manchester

A fascinating look at the Renaissance, dealing as much with what the world was like and how people thought as anything else. Goes into great detail on the failings of the Church during the time period. Although I find much of the book fascinating, the author does seem to take great delight in describing the details of the age's sexual excesses.

1 comment:

samrocha said...

Hmm... I abide by a strict rule of not commenting on that which I have not read... BUT I will toe the line.

The idea of any book being dangerous is only real insofar as the book represents a certain unquestioned credibility, also if personal bias is not accounted for, and historical context is ignored...

So, while I have nothing to say about the book, anything - even SEX - ought to be intellectually and morally licit to one who is willing to accept the responsibilities that are implied within the privelage of reading...

I wrote on the DaVinci Code today and I would take the same approach...