Monday, March 21, 2011

Jesus' Miracles

Witness the miracles of Jesus; the healing of the blind and sick, the raising of the dead, water into wine, the feeding of the five thousand, and on and on. Jesus is our perfect example of what we should be. He is the visible demonstration of how a son of God should act.

John 14:12 "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do, he will do also; and greater works than these he will do; because I go to the Father. (NASB)

Works is "miraculous deeds" in many translations. I have healed no one. I have multiplied fishes for no one.

Is that too much to expect? Should a believer be doing such things? It seems too extreme, yet the disciples, who walked with him and finally understood, after the resurrection, what they were called to do, did similar miracles.

Moderns, seeking to explain our lack of such signs, discuss dispensations and situations; we don't perform such signs because God only causes such miracles in areas and times where it would be a sign. Industrialized cultures would quickly explain such signs away. They have studied it more than I, but it doesn't ring true to me. Surely, if a man or woman walked into a VA hospital and started pulling quadraplegics out of their wheel chairs and sending them home skipping, it would be a sign to the unbelieving. Peter's healings were so well known that the lame where set out in hopes that his shadow would fall upon them and heal them. And the Catholic saints are declared saints, in part, because they performed miracles. Missionaries and believers from some parts of the world claim that healing and casting out demons is not so uncommon. Yet, in the US at least, such healings smack of charlatanism, though I do have friends who have experienced healings first hand (though in quiet anonymity; no speaking and tongues or kissing snakes necessary).

I don't know. I do know that Jesus clearly righted wrongs, physical and spiritual, whenever he was confronted with them. He met needs; even without intention (witness the woman who touched the hem of his cloak and was healed).

I suppose I should be doing that too, wherever possible. Strangely enough, I can't recall him ever giving money to the poor, though his disciples did collect money for that purpose. We are quick to give money to help out those in need, but that seems much different than laying hands on a leper to heal them.

No comments: